Dr. Comfort Blog
Keeping feet happy and healthy since 2002.
By: Jeanne Bellezzo
When you’re living with diabetes, you know it’s important to take especially good care of your feet. Keep them clean, dry and protected – and make smart decisions about your footwear.
The shoes you wear can help make a big difference in your foot health and comfort. Footwear that offers little or no support, compresses your feet or toes, or puts pressure on vulnerable areas can contribute to potential problems ranging from blisters and toe deformities to ulcers and serious infections. Researchers in an Australian study recommended people with diabetes should be advised to wear footwear that fits, protects and accommodates the shape of their feet.1
“That’s where therapeutic footwear comes in,” says Brian Lane, Director of Education at Dr. Comfort®. “Specially designed and constructed to help protect your feet and provide exceptional comfort, diabetic footwear offers important features and benefits for people with diabetes.”
And despite their name, modern therapeutic shoes look anything but therapeutic. In fact, Dr. Comfort was founded on the belief that footwear for people with diabetes (and other conditions that affect feet) can be both healthy and stylish. Our shoes combine comfort and protection with fashionable designs in a wide range of attractive styles and colors that you’ll want to wear – because if you don’t wear them, they can’t help you.
Features to look for
When you’re shopping for diabetic footwear, keep the following features in mind:
- Extra-wide widths: Extra width provides plenty of room for foot comfort, so the shoe doesn’t pinch or constrict nerves or impair circulation.
- Large toe boxes: A wide toe box helps reduce pressure on the foot and gives the toes room to stretch and relax without feeling cramped or restricted. It also helps reduce the risk of injury.
- Easy on/off closure systems: Laces, straps and hook-and-loop closures provide a secure, customizable fit, so the shoe is easy to slip on and off and adjust for comfort.
- Firm heel counter: A solid heel provides extra protection, support and stability.
- Padded tongue: Soft padding on the tongue helps prevent friction and improve overall fit.
- Extra-depth options: Extra depth accommodates custom insoles and orthotics comfortably.
“In addition, look for approval by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA),” says Lane.
Comfortable shoes for every occasion
Dr. Comfort offers diabetic shoes for almost any need: casual, athletic, dressy and more – even boots and sandals. We use only the finest materials, technology and craftsmanship to help ensure quality and comfort.
Talk to your doctor or healthcare professional about whether Dr. Comfort shoes are right for you. In many cases, diabetic footwear may be covered by Medicare and supplementary insurance.
- van Netten JJ, Lazzarini PA, Armstrong DG, Bus SA, Fitridge R, Harding K, Kinnear E, Malone M, Menz HB, Perrin BM, Postema K, Prentice J, Schott KH, Wraight PR. Diabetic Foot Australia guideline on footwear for people with diabetes. J Foot Ankle Res. 2018 Jan 15;11:2. doi: 10.1186/s13047-017-0244-z. PMID: 29371890; PMCID: PMC5769299.
The contents of this blog were independently prepared, and are for informational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not necessarily indicative of the views of any other party. Individual results may vary depending on a variety of patient-specific attributes and related factors.
By: Jeanne Bellezzo
Ahhh, wool. There may be no more stylish way to keep your feet warm, dry and comfortable. Combine wool with a casual athletic design and therapeutic features, and you have a great shoe for foot problems associated with diabetes, arthritis and hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating).
The new Dr. Comfort® wool shoes for men and women offer modern, fashionable styles with all the benefits of high-quality Merino wool. In addition to being soft and cozy, wool helps maintain body temperature. The natural fibers wick away moisture to keep socks and feet snug and dry, and let air circulate for breathability. Plus, wool provides antibacterial protection and natural odor resistance for a fresh, comfortable feeling even after hours of wear.
Our go-anywhere wool shoes not only look good and feel great, they provide the support and stability your feet need. EVA and rubber outsole and extra depth help reduce movement, so you feel more secure. They slip on easily and offer convenient lace-up and hook-and-loop closures for a flexible fit.
Put a sock on it
Wearing other shoes or just want to keep your toes toasty around the house? Pull on a pair of our wool crew socks. Made from 60% Merino wool and designed for therapeutic comfort, these comfy mid-weight socks feature non-binding stretch tops to allow circulation and seamless toes that don’t irritate skin. Built-in arch support and protective padding on the leg and foot help keep the sock in place, reduce friction and help protect skin from pressure and impact. Like our wool shoes, these socks are naturally breathable, odor-resistant and moisture-wicking. They’re perfect for everyday wear – with or without shoes.
By: Erick Janisse, CO, CPed, Corporate Trainer
A recent article published in Podiatry Today notes that the frequency of foot amputations in patients with diabetes has increased during the COVID-19 pandemic.1 Pandemic or no, having to have a foot amputation is a fear for many of the 34 million Americans living with diabetes. Fortunately, the majority of diabetes-related foot complications are preventable – and fairly easily so.2
Most amputations in folks with diabetes are preceded by a foot ulcer.3 A diabetic foot ulcer is a wound that can develop on the foot as an indirect result of the nerve damage that diabetes can cause called peripheral neuropathy.4 When someone has peripheral neuropathy, they may have diminished sensation in their feet and might not be able to feel things like foreign objects in their shoe or a shoe that is too tight and causing excessive pressure on the foot. Things like foreign objects or shoes rubbing can cause skin breakdown (i.e. an ulcer).5 If the ulcer becomes infected, it could eventually require full or partial amputation of the foot.
The steps to preventing a diabetic foot ulcer are, therefore, the steps to preventing amputations. As mentioned above, they are pretty simple and straightforward.6,7
- Have your feet examined by a doctor regularly – at least twice a year.
- If you have neuropathy, it is important to have your shoes fit by a shoe-fitting professional.
- You should look for shoes that have plenty of space for your feet as well as any special inserts your doctor may prescribe for you. Generally speaking, we like to see about ½” of space between the end of your longest toe and the front of the shoe when you’re standing. It’s also important that the shoe is the proper width so that no part of your foot overlaps the shoe sole.
- Always keep your feet protected – especially if you’ve been diagnosed with neuropathy. This means always wearing well-fitting shoes whenever you’re up and walking…and never going barefoot.
- Check your feet daily for wounds, blisters or red spots and contact your doctor right away should you find anything amiss.
- If you have swelling in your feet, your doctor may prescribe compression socks to help control the swelling. Wearing the compression socks helps maintain your skin’s integrity and may improve shoe fit.
- Replace your shoes at least annually; or sooner if needed or recommended by your physician.
The majority of amputations are preventable. It isn’t difficult but does require some diligence in following a few simple guidelines.
- Spector, J. Studies note increase in amputations after arrival of COVID-19 pandemic. Podiatry Today. 2020 Oct;33(10):10-11.
- Bus SA, van Netten JJ. A shift in priority in diabetic foot care and research: 75% of foot ulcers are preventable. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2016 Jan;32 Suppl 1:195-200.
- Brocco E, Ninkovic S, Marin M, Whisstock C, Bruseghin M, Boschetti G, Viti R, Forlini W, Volpe A. Diabetic foot management: multidisciplinary approach for advanced lesion rescue. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2018 Oct;59(5):670-684.
- https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/preventing-problems/nerve-damage-diabetic-neuropathies (accessed 10/7/20)
- Reiber GE, Vileikyte L, Boyko EJ, del Aguila M, Smith DG, Lavery LA, Boulton AJ. Causal pathways for incident lower-extremity ulcers in patients with diabetes from two settings. Diabetes Care. 1999 Jan;22(1):157-62.
- Ang GY, Yap CW, Saxena N. Effectiveness of Diabetes Foot Screening in Primary Care in Preventing Lower Extremity Amputations. Ann Acad Med Singap. 2017 Nov;46(11):417-423.
- Iraj B, Khorvash F, Ebneshahidi A, Askari G. Prevention of diabetic foot ulcer. Int J Prev Med. 2013;4(3):373-376.
The contents of this blog were independently prepared and are for informational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not necessarily indicative of the views of any other party. Individual results may vary depending on a variety of patient-specific attributes and related factors.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. MANY WILL ENTER AND FEW WILL WIN. YOU HAVE NOT YET WON.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOT ENDORSED BY OR AFFILIATED WITH INSTAGRAM. AS A CONDITION TO ENTERING THIS PROMOTION, YOU RELEASE INSTAGRAM, FROM ALL LIABILITY.
- Eligibility:The Dr. Comfort® 2020 Father’s Day Giveaway (the “Giveaway”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. In order to enter, you must be 18 years of age or older at the time of entry or if you are a minor in your state of residence, you must have the consent of your parent or legal guardian to enter. Employees and non-employee workers of DJO Consumer, LLC and its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, and agents, and those prize providers and agencies that are involved in the development or execution of this Giveaway or any of its materials, and the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such person are not eligible. The Giveaway is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
- Sponsor:The Giveaway is sponsored by DJO Consumer, LLC, 1430 Decision St, Vista, CA 92081 (“Sponsor”).
- Agreement to Official Rules:By participating in the Giveaway, each entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Giveaway.
- Promotion Period:The Giveaway begins at 11:00am Pacific Standard Time (“PST”), June 15, 2020 and ends at 11a.m. PST, June 18, 2020 (the “Promotion Period”).
- Guidelines And Restrictions:
- Entries must not contain material that violates or infringes on another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights.
- Entries must not disparage Sponsor or any other person or party affiliated with the Promotion.
- Entries must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, derogatory, or libelous.
- Entries must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual, or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
- Entries must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where the Entry is created.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Entry that violates these restrictions or that otherwise does not comply with the requirements of these Official Rules.
- Drawings:Winners will be chosen by a randomized drawing on or about June 19, 2020. The random drawing pool will consist of all eligible Entries received during the Promotion Period. One winner will be drawn by the Sponsor and will be notified by direct message on their Instagram account. Entrants agreed to be so notified and to maintain their account in a manner to allow such direct messaging. If a potential winner fails to respond within two (2) days of notification or if any notification is returned as undeliverable, Sponsor may select an alternate winner in a random drawing. The odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible Entries received during the Promotion Period.
- Prize: The following prize will be awarded (the “Prize”):
- One (1) pair of Dr. Comfort® shoes.
- Prize is not transferable and not redeemable in cash. There is no prize substitution, except that Sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value if the advertised prize is not available. Each Prize winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with Prize receipt and/or use. Limit: 1 Prize per person. All expenses of using the Prize not specifically listed above are the sole responsibility of the winner. Sponsor makes no representation and warranties regarding the Prizes and expressly disclaims the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular use.
- Publicity:Except where prohibited, participation in the Sweepstakes constitutes entrant’s consent for Sponsor and its designees to use entrant’s name, likeness, prize information, city and state of residence for promotional purposes in any media worldwide without further consideration or right of approval.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Giveaway is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but, not limited to, fraud, virus or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Giveaway to address the impairment and then resume the Giveaway in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) cancel the Giveaway and award the prizes in a random drawing from among all eligible Entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Giveaway or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion, or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Giveaway may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Release and Limitations of Liability:Except where prohibited, by participating in the Giveaway, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, promotional partners, prize partners, agents and agencies, and the officers, directors and employees of them (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Giveaway or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Giveaway; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, printers or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) errors in the administration of the Giveaway or the processing of Entries; (e) late, lost, or undeliverable Entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Giveaway or receipt, use or misuse of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Giveaway and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. If, for any reason, an entrant’s Entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another Giveaway Entry, if it is possible. If the Giveaway, or any part of it, is discontinued for any reason, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible Entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any prize offered herein. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming or any other reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes as set forth herein to be available and/or claimed, Sponsor reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible prize claims.
- Disputes:Entrant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Giveaway or any prizes awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Southern District of California or the appropriate California State Court located in San Diego County, California; and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering any Giveaway, but in no event attorneys’ fees. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Giveaway, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California.
Winner List: For a winner list, visit the Dr. Comfort® Instagram stories. The winner will be posted after winner confirmation is complete.
Most, if not all, of the local and state “Stay at Home” mandates call for the temporary closure of gyms, health clubs and community centers to prevent gathering which could spread the COVID-19 virus. That doesn’t mean you should stop exercising, though. In fact, many of those same “Stay at Home” orders also include reminders that you can still take a walk outside or go a park provided you employ good social distancing practices.
Even when you’re not out and about…wearing your shoes is important!We hope that this finds you all well in these constantly changing times. Many of us are sticking close to home and not going out as much as we are accustomed to. However, it’s important to remember that those of us with diabetes and/or at-risk feet should still wear our shoes and inserts whenever we’re up and walking around – inside the house and out. Continue reading
Daily living costs certainly can add up. From home and foot expenses to everyday necessities and health care, everything adds up.
Whether your style is sophisticated, timeless or sporty, these new casual shoes are your savior to daily activity.